Friday, December 21, 2007

Simple Pleasures

cats know how to do it. each night when bowser comes to join me on my bed while i sit on my laptop or with my nose in a book, he stops on my serasoft throw blanket at the end of my bed and kneads it. for a good two minutes, he just sinks his paws into the softness, his eyes narrowing and an obvious look of catly pleasure taking over his face. then he finds a spot that is just right and snuggles right down into the blanket to bask in my yellow lighting and sometimes my cooing and petting. it's easy to take for granted the cushy luxuries i have every day, the working in the #1 architectural marvel of 2007, the having a more-wonderful-by-the-day boyfriend, the feeling of a fifty degree day in late december. here's to not forgetting, remembering to notice and appreciate, and divining the same kind of intense pleasure from those simple things that bowser finds in my throw blanket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Or the pleasure of watching a seven month old baby discover the shadow of his octopus toy and try to figure out what the heck it is.